Most people are lost when it comes to choosing a Realtor. And, frankly, it’s hard to know what makes a good one. Our industry is not selective enough. A typical real estate company will advertise their agents’ headshots underscored with an alphabet soup of certifications that mean nothing to anyone outside the industry, and maybe capped off with a “top producer” label. You’re supposed to pick one from the Glamour shot line up, and you’ll often end up doing so on looks alone.
What you really want to know, though, is are you going to like us, and can you trust us? Is riding around in the car for hours going to be a miserable experience? Are we going to turn on the greasy sales pitch from minute one and not let up until you’ve signed on the dotted line? Will we sigh heavily as you wrestle your toddler into the car seat for the 15th time? Will we be late, disorganized, or dumb? Will we ask you what you’re looking for and then show you something completely different?
Being authentic is most important, so we wouldn’t tell you we are a great match for every client. But if these things matter to you, we’re likely to work well together.
1. We get along with most everyone and Anita and I are a great balance of personalities. Anita is warm and caring, and everyone's friend, while also being a patient and experienced professional. She has an eye for beauty and potential in a home, and thinks creatively about problems while being a stickler for the details. People who like me best tend to be more analytical and direct, because that’s how I am. I like to share knowledge, so I enjoy teaching people about buying a home. I’m also good at helping emotionally driven people sort out conflicting feelings because I’m very pragmatic.
2. We listen. When we meet, the first thing we do is ask you what you want and why. We take notes and think about what you’re saying. And when you’re finished, we respond thoughtfully with helpful insights so we can do great work together. It’s so much more pleasant for everyone if we actually give you what you need!
3. The awkward first car ride…We’ve lived a lot of places and tried a lot of things. We can talk about real estate, of course, but we can also talk about hometowns, hiking, restaurants, theater, beaches, farming, military, travel, sports, and if you want to teach us about what you’re into, We’ll happily learn something new.
4. We have kids and we’ll do our best to help you with yours. We remember what it’s like when they’re tired, cranky, messy, smelly, and hungry. And we remember the exhaustion that goes along with a move, and how you feel responsible for their happiness when the dust settles. When kids are along, we try to entertain them so you’re free to look around and have some space to think about what you’re seeing.
5. We are the team people call when they don’t know what to do, and the ones they can count on to show up, in all ways. Cool in crisis, always with a plan and a hug. We represent your interests loyally throughout the process. And if you’re about to get in too deep, we tell you! Because…
6. It’s about YOU. We want you to be happy and feel good about your decision. Yes, we want to earn an income, and we don’t want to run around for months looking for unicorns, but if you’re going to buy a home, we’ll help you get the best fit.
7. If you’re in the military, know that I speak the language. I was in your boots once, too. Trust me, I get it.